The Seydel All Minor Harmonica is a Richter, a Natural Minor and a Harmonic Minor Harmonica making it a three in one instrument. Using the magnetic sliders this harmonica can be re-tuned as easy as a guitar. It is very simple to re-tune it from Major to Minor and vice versa.
This harmonica has an inginiously simple tuning principle – the Seydel Magnet System.
Diatonic Richter harmonicas are usually tuned in Major keys. Without using special playing techniques it is difficult to play a Richter harmonica in Minor keys (in 1st or 2nd position). This is why many players use Minor tuned diatonic harmonicas when they play Minor sounding melodies or for improvising a Minor Blues solo.
With regard to intervals, the words major and minor mean large and small. It is the third note of the scale that usually determines the so called mode (Minor or Major). Thus, a major third is a slightly wider interval than a minor third. This means that if you lower certain notes of the Major scale you will hear the Minor scale in the same key. This is exactly what happens when you slide the magnetic sliders of the All Minor Harmonica towards the tip-end of the reed: the magnetic field slows down the reed’s oscillation resulting in a pitched-down tone. It can be re-tuned for a semitone down.
As well as the innovative magnet-slider cover plates the Seydel 1847 All Minor Harmonica is constructed the same as the Seydel 1847 Silver model.
• the reeds and the rivets as well as the cover plates and reedplate screws are made of Stainless Steel
• reedplates made of non-corrosive German Silver
• solid polymer comb in nano grey
• less air-loss due to fine-cut reedplates – optimised flatness and extremely small tolerances between reed and reedplate
• beard- and lip-friendly coverplates with rounded edges without any cuts at the mouthpiece
• the overtone-rich sound can spread out unhindered – covers opened wide at the back and crimped and therefore a good stability and rounded edges